I’ve seen/purchased a ridiculous amount of apps (averaging about 4 apps per day since the App Store came out), I’ve reviewed a bunch of apps, but the one thing I absolutely do not understand:
1. Developer offers awesome PAID app. Person purchases app. Person loves app. (yay!)
2. Developer updates app, adds advertisment, adds features, makes app free.
2. Developer updates app with less features, make app free AND makes a new app that was the same as the old, but it’s now a “PRO” version. Causing faithful app purchasers to be penalized.
2. Developer makes app free, then uses in-app purchases for pay-per-use for un-godly amount of money. App.Cat, you’re an asshole for doing this…
I see this happen ALL THE DAMN TIME. And ironically a majority of the apps are Productivity apps…
DEVS, YOU’RE SCREWING YOUR CUSTOMERS!! CUSTOMERS GET UPSET! YOU LOSE RELIABLE PAYING CUSTOMERS!
What this does:
- Leaves a bad taste in customer’s mouth.
- Customer not likely to continue using your ad-ridden app.
- People like me writing and adding you to the app list of shame…
I understand that over time, providing updates and adding features comes at a cost.
How can this be prevented? Let me provide a set of soultions & examples:
If you want to add advertisements create a NEW APP, it literally is the same app, but with ads.
If you are adding a bunch of features and redesigning the app, consider making a version 2 of you app. So in essence you have AwesomeApp1 AND AwesomeApp2. This allows you current users to have uninterrupted service while allowing them to have the option to upgrade and new customers to purchase the new app.
Offer the additional features as in-app purchases.
LIST OF SHAME
- App.Cat Pro
- PUSH (now defunct)
- What’s On
- MyWeather Mobile (now defunct)
LIST OF AWESOME (Apps that have done it right)
- iThoughts & iThoughts HDMyStuff & MyStuff2Pocketpedia3
- Quick Sale
- Appigo’s ToDo
- MultiTrack DAW
What is your opinion? Know of app that has done this? Let me know so I can add it to my